Burma (Myanmar) exported 90,434 metric tons (MT) of beans and pulses in July, a decrease of 66 percent from the same period in 2012. Of this total, 67 percent (60,356 mt) was exported to India. It was note worthy to note that 125 metric tons of beans and pulses were exported to U.S.A.

By wpengine

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

Report Highlights

Burma (Myanmar) exported 90,434 metric tons (MT) of beans and pulses in July, a decrease of 66 percent from the same period in 2012. Of this total, 67 percent (60,356 mt) was exported to India. It was note worthy to note that 125 metric tons of beans and pulses were exported to U.S.A.

General Information

Burma’s beans and pulses in July 2013 totaled 90,434 metric tons (MT), a decrease of 66 percent from the same period of last year. Matpe beans (black gram) accounted for 59 percent of the total followed by Toor whole and Mung beans with 32 percent and 3 percent respectively. India accounted for 67 percent of total exports while Pakistan accounted for 13 percent. It was note worthy to note that 125 metric tons of beans and pulses were exported to U.S.A.

Table 1. Beans and Pulses Exports by Types and Destination in July 2013 (MT)

Country

Butter Bean

Matpe

Mung Bean

Toor Whole

Others

Total

U.S.A 20 42 63 125
Australia   48 24 72
Bangladesh 4,503   528 5,031
Belgium   24 40 64
Canada 72 48 189 309
Cambodia 48 48
China 240 240
Egypt 240 240
Germany 92 92
India 31,723 384 26,353 1,896 60,356
Indonesia 24 721 745
Italy 72 72
Japan 804 374 564   188 1,930
Korea 117 264 381
Kuwait 72 72
Malaysia   313 120 385 49 867
Mauritius 24 24
Netherlands 22 98 10 85 215
Nepal 167 120   287
Pakistan 11,940 116 12,056
Qatar 25 25
Russia   144 144
Singapore 145 24 96 265
Sri Lanka 313 74 87
Spain 24 24
Thailand 440 120   12 572
Taiwan 192 48 240
UAE 2,761   1,268 4,029
United Kingdom 96 68 308 472
Vietnam 192 618 240 1,050
Total 1,020 53,202 2,885 28,572 4,755 90,434
Other categories include kidney, bamboo, black eye, sultani, chick pea brown beans and various beans.
  Table 2. Monthly Export of Beans and Pulses (MT)

Months

2012

2013

  Monthly Cumulative Monthly Cumulative
January 92,621 92,621 105,240 105,240
February 141,008 233,629 107,369 212,609
March 158,944 392,573 124,895 337,504
April 98,910 491,483 84,278 421,782
May 209,040 700,523 85,802 507,584
June 155,490 856,013 82,257 589,841
July 267,010 1,123,023 90,434 680,275
August 71,098 1,194,121    
September 79,215 1,273,336    
October 110,498 1,383,834    
November 80,369 1,464,203    
December 122,068 1,586,271    
Total 1,586,271      
Source: The Commerce Journal
  • Yangon FOB Prices and Price changes in India’s Beans and Pulses Market (US$/ton)
 
 

Names

Yangon FOB*

India

      Mumbai Delhi
    07/04/13 07/11/13 07/04/13 07/11/13 07/04/13 07/11/13
1 Matpe 520 510 549 566 624 637
2 Pesingon (Toor Whole) 600 600 641 671 682 696
3 Petishwe War 930 930 882 889 899 905
4 White Chickpea (Big) 620 620 508 520 516 528
 
 

Names

Yangon FOB*

India

      Mumbai Delhi
    07/17/13 07/25/13 07/17/13 07/25/13 07/17/13 07/25/13
1 Matpe 510 490 564 568 644 636
2 Pesingon( Toor Whole) 600 590 661 632 712 687
3 Petishwe War 930 950 927 916 918 848
4 White Chickpea (Big) 600 500 506 458 510 475
 
  • FOB prices are minimum prices.
  • Prices in Delhi market are India‘s Toor whole and Myanmar’s Matpe SQ prevailing prices.
 

Market Situation

Domestic prices for beans and pulses were depressed in July due to weak demand from India and China (border trade). Previously there was a great demand for Green Gram and White Chickpea (big) from India and China, but recently China’s demand has decreased whereas India ‘s demand ceased. Confirmed trade sources said that this is usual in the month of July for India’s demand for beans and pulses to weaken including Matpe since this is the seeding season for Matpe in India and volume of Matpe imports are decided on the status of the crop situation. India’s beans and pulses are harvested in September and during these months before the harvest; traders speculate that the export demand is likely to increase after the end of July. Myanmar’s domestic consumption for Matpe is about 10 % of the production and the remaining 90% is being exported to India, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Dubai, UAE and Pakistan.

Daphne Khin Swe Swe Aye, Agricultural Market Specialist IFT Journalist based in Burma (Myanmar)