SAGARPA reports one million hectares of beans planted in five states. Combined bean production for top two states estimated at 500,000 MT.

By Dario Bard

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

Mexico’s top two bean producing states, Zacatecas and Durango, are expected to produce 350,000 MT and 150,000 MT of beans respectively, according to the most conservative estimates from news reports and state government spokespersons. An October 9 El Siglo news report placed the planted area for the Mexican bean producing states of Zacatecas, Durango, Chihuahua, San Luis Potosi and Guanajuato at one million hectares.

Meanwhile, following protests by Mexican bean producers, SAGARPA, Mexico’s Agriculture Ministry, announced government support for the purchase of 200,000 MT of beans and a quality bonus of 1 peso per kilo. Producers, however, were unsatisfied, arguing that the quantity supported is insufficient and that the quality bonus wasn’t worth the cost of transporting the beans for certification.

Zacatecas and Durango represent Mexico’s first and second biggest bean producing states, respectively. IFT takes a closer look at the situation in each.

Zacatecas

An October 9 news report from El Siglo reports that 639,548 hectares of beans were planted in Zacatecas. According to Fernando Santa Cruz, a spokesperson for the State Government, Zacatecas bean production tends to fluctuate between 300,000 and 350,000 MT, with black beans comprising the bulk of production. Black bean prices, says Santa Cruz, are floating between 9 and 15 pesos per kilo, although some intermediaries are offering as little as 6 pesos per kilo and taking advantage of the pressure producers feel to sell.

Santa Cruz also notes that tropical storm Octave may impact the bean harvest in terms of both quantity and quality.

Durango

In Durango, Mexico’s second leading bean-producing state, approximately 291,000 hectares of beans were planted, and estimated production stands at 150,000 MT, with pinto beans accounting for 90% of production and black beans for the remaining 10%, according to Renato Santos, a spokesperson for the State Government. According to an October 14 news report from El Siglo, national and state government experts on the ground estimate 280,000 hectares of beans were planted, and calculate a harvest of 200,000 MT. On October 8, Grupo Garzalimon’s website Noticias reported on estimates as high as 180,000 MT.

Imports and Exports

The news website Noticias reported on statements made by Durango Governor Jorge Herrera Caldera, regarding temporary restrictions on bean imports.

An October 14 El Siglo article quoted Roberto Delgado Gallegos, a consultant with Mercados Agrícolas, as saying that, under NAFTA, Mexico cannot freeze bean imports from the U.S. and Canada; other countries not protected under a free trade agreement, such as China, Argentina, Nicaragua and Bolivia, may see their bean imports banned if Mexican bean production proves sufficient to meet domestic demand.

This year, both Zacatecas and Durango aim to export Mexican bean to Venezuela and Brazil for the first time.